OMV Medical, Inc., a recognized leader, has been providing medical staffing and management services for over a quarter of a century. OMV is always looking for dedicated individuals who share our values; flexibility, dependability and quality patient care. When you choose OMV Medical as your employer of choice, you can be confident that you are working with an organization that values you as an individual and understands your dreams, aspirations and wants to help you make your career goals real. Come partner with us!
ICU RNs (MICU) needed for Walter Reed Nat’l Military Medical Center in Bethesda, MD
The ICU RN will perform nursing services in accordance with the standard professional practice and the established policies and procedures of the department. The RNs will support the missions of both the Medical Intensive Care Unit (MICU) and Surgical Intensive Care Unit (SICU) at WRNMMC, Bethesda, MD - 24 hours a day, seven (7) days a week.
Education A graduate of a Diploma, Associate, Bachelor or Master’s Program of Registered Nursing. The institution will be from a National League of Nursing (NLN) approved program
Licensure: Valid, unrestricted, RN license at least one State, Territory or Commonwealth of the US.
Certification: Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) and Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS) as required by the customer are required to work on the Intensive Care Unit (ICU)
Experience: continuously employed, for a minimum of two (within the last five years caring for adult
patients) as a registered nurse in Intensive Care Unit with at least one year ICU experience in a tertiary care
facility. Experience with intra-aortic balloon pump preferred but not required.
- Shall be able to read, write, speak and understand English well enough to effectively communicate with all patients and other health care providers.
- Shall be knowledgeable of equipment and supply terminology and skill sufficient to identify and use necessary equipment and supplies properly and to communicate proper use with nurses, medical staff, patients, and family members.
- Shall be sufficiently skilled to teach patients proper self-care and to motivate patients and family members to continue the procedures for promoting rapid healing.
- Shall be knowledgeable and possess skills necessary to provide care appropriate to any age-related needs of the patients. The Contract HCP shall demonstrate knowledge of the principles of growth and development appropriate to the appropriate patient population served: Infants, Children, Adolescent, Adults, and Geriatric (>65).
- Assess, coordinate, facilitate, deliver and evaluate care for infant to geriatric patients using the nursing process.
- Possess knowledge of computer operations and proficiency in the use of basic word processing, data entry and automated medical records.
- Shall be a U.S citizen.
DUTIES: The contracted RN will provide the following services and in strict compliance with standing orders and protocols
set forth by the MTF, and IAW JC guidelines to include, the following:
- Provide intensive nursing care to complex, critically ill patients. Continually assess condition of 1 to 2
patients for potential or life threatening crisis or up to 3 step-down equivalent patients.
- React to any emergency situation, e.g., cardiac or respiratory arrest, hemorrhage, shock, severe physical trauma and psychiatric reaction.
- Serve as member of resuscitation team.
- Operate cardiac monitors, hemodynamic monitors and specialized unit equipment safely and effectively.
- Comprehend underlying principles of pacemakers. Interpret cardiac rhythms, determines implications of
data and makes indicated interventions, including the provisions of Advance Life Support (ACLS).
- Carefor patients with Swan-Ganz catheters, arterial lines and mechanical ventilator, operate defibrillator, EKG
machine, and cardiac monitor.
- Safely administer prescribed medications to include IV push drugs and IV drips. Monitor and documents
patient(s) responses in a timely manner. Demonstrate ability to correctly integrate knowledge of drug
actions with homodynamic concepts.
- Adeptly care for patients on ventilators; can trouble shoot alarms/machines and recognize airway problems,
initiates appropriate interventions. Understand ventilator concepts. Assess patients' conditions for potential
or life- threatening crises.
- Distinguish between normal and abnormal physical findings (from physical assessment and vital sign assessment). Plan appropriate nursing care set forth by the MTF, and IAW JC guidelines.
- Manage and assess intra-cranial pressure monitoring data, integrates concepts of cerebral perfusion with
data analysis, symptomatology, and initiate appropriate nursing intervention.
- Successfully completed the MTF Conscious Sedation program.
- Provide documentation of annual attendance at Joint Commission and Occupational Safety Health Act
(OSHA) required classes. These courses will be provided at Government expense.
- Assess nursing needs, formulate, and implement a plan of nursing care for each patient consistent with
established nursing standards and protocols for this unit and with the prescribed plan of medical care.
- Contribute to the medical/nursing plan of care by observing, recognizing, recording, and reporting changes
in the patient’s condition, subjective symptoms and objective signs, reactions to medications, and responses
- Collect, document, and evaluate patient data for a wide variety of adult patients with medical or surgical
problems to include insertion, maintenance and discontinuation of NG tubes, folly catheters, and rectal
- Maintain excellent patient assessment skills. Use the nursing process as a basis for professional
- The contracted RN will demonstrate proper preparation of patient’s for treatments and procedures,
to include surgical interventions. Provide proper care and evaluation of post-procedural patients
- Maintain all required patient care records and report pertinent information to the medical officer and/or
charge nurse as appropriate.
- Administer prescribed medications and intravenous therapy. Be familiar with PCA pumps, and epidural
- Institute emergency measures including cardiopulmonary resuscitation when a physician is not present or
- Ensure that patients are properly informed and prepared for a wide variety of special tests and examinations
- Provide individualized health teaching for patients and their significant others throughout hospitalizations
to ensure that transfer or discharge objectives can be achieved.
- Utilize diversified professional concepts, principles, and practices while performing procedures, treatments,
and tasks related to the specialty area.
- Interpret and operate highly specialized equipment used for required patient care. (to include external
fixators, JP drains, chest tubes, wound vacs, etc.)
- Perform special tests and procedures following appropriate standard protocols.
- Provide support and proper referral for those patients and families experiencing critical illness and/or
- Assist in nursing quality assurance activities through problem identification, development of nursing
practice evaluation criteria, development of plans of action, and monitoring results.
- Assist in maintenance of the unit environment and with ordering of supplies and equipment. Be
responsible for the security of narcotics, dangerous drugs, and other controlled substances.
- Keep current Command certification in cardiopulmonary resuscitation, IV administration and venipuncture.
- Keep current in nursing practice within the specialty of practice.
- Participate in the orientation and training of new unit personnel, including inter-unit cross training.
- Maintain required records and documentation.
- Utilize knowledge of (critical care) ethical and legal issues to provide maximal patient/family support
during periods of physiopsycho social stress. Provide appropriate crisis intervention.
- Promote patient and staff safety through adherence to accepted safety and infection control standards.
- Maintain a clean, safe, orderly and therapeutic working environment.
- Perform other duties as assigned to include floating to other work units as needed if qualified to safely
practice nursing in that location.
OMV Medical offers its employees Competitive pay & benefits:
Competitive benefits include:
- Major Medical, Dental and Vision coverage
- Life Insurance
- Short Term Disability
- Accidental Death & Disability
- Paid holidays for FT employees
- Holiday premium for all RNs
- PTO Time for FT employees
- 24/7 on-call access
OMV Medical Inc., is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.